What You Should Do (or not do) If a Fire Occurs on the Stove Top?
This stove caught on fire and most of the house was affected by heavy smoke damage.
* Always have a lid close by that can be placed on a burning pot. Even a cookie sheet that covers the pot will work. If a fire occurs, cover the pot, then turn the stove off. Don't peek! Let it cool completely down.
* Do not pick up a burning pot. Dropped and spilled hot food and burning oil can cause serious and tragic burns.
* Do not put water on a burning pot. This can make things much worse.
* You can use a fire extinguisher but only if you know how to. Did you ever read the instructions? Or look at the manufacturers videos on how to use? You probably should before you ever have to use one. You could make things worse!
* If the fire is too big or for whatever reason you are unsure if it can be contained, then get everyone outside and call 911.
What You Should Do To Prevent a Cooking Fire and Burns
At SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch we believe that prevention is the best way to avoid disaster. The following tips are ways to prevent cooking fires and burns.
* Keep your stove clean. The hood, cabinets, and all surfaces above and near the stove should also be clean and free from grease buildup. That goes for inside the oven too.(When hot enough, grease buildup will melt and burn.)
* Move combustibles away from the stove. No towels, mitts,plastic bags and bottles, or any combustible storage or trash should be near the range.
* If cooking with grease oil, never ever leave cooking unattended. If you see smoke coming off the oil or grease, it can ignite. It does not need a flame to catch fire. Once hot enough, grease and oil will catch fire.
* Don't have loose or draping sleeves on clothes. These can ignite over an open flame.
* Don't let kids run around, play or ever be unattended around the stove. Don't ever assume they know better just because you told them.
* Make sure you have working smoke alarms. To prevent nuisance alarms, keep the smoke alarms at least ten feet away from the stove. Even when positioned correctly, the darn thing mat still go off, usually if you burn some food. It's supposed to... you're burning something.
2018 Annual Scholarship Fund Raiser Golf Tournament
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch was the title sponsor for the Alamo Ranch 151 Business Association Second Annual Scholarship fund raiser. 100% of the funds raised after expenses were applied to scholarships for local area high school students. A total of 7- $1000 scholarships were awarded.
The tournament was held on October 4, 2018 and there were approximately 64 players in attendance.
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch is committed to serving our community and surrounding areas.
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch wishes to thank all of the participants, volunteers , and sponsors for a successful event.
How to Create an Office Emergency Plan
Emergency Escape Plans for Business
Although an emergency escape plan is not required for all businesses, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommends building an emergency action plan to protect yourself, your employees, and your business during an emergency situation. OSHA suggests the following steps when developing such a plan.
ORGANIZE AN EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS PROCEDURES REVIEW WITH EMPLOYEES TO REVIEW YOUR COMPANY'S EMERGENCY PLANS. You may wish to select an individual or team of individuals to lead and coordinate your emergency plan.
ONCE A PLAN IS DEVELOPED, POST EVACUATION PROCEDURES, INCLUDING ROUTES AND EXITS, WHERE THEY ARE EASILY ACCESSIBLE TO ALL EMPLOYEES. Ensure all exits and routes are clearly marked and well lit, wide enough to accommodate the number of evacuating personnel, and unobstructed and clear of debris at all times.
CONDUCT OFFICE EVACUATION EXERCISES AND DRILLS. Designate a safe spot outside of the facility where employees can regroup, recover, and conduct a head count. Once completed, evaluate how well the plan worked and if additional training or exercises are needed.
Tips provided by the National Fire Protection Association
Insurance Continuing Education Course Schedule for 2019
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch is pleased to present the Insurance Continuing Education Course Schedule for 2019. The following courses have been approved for classroom credits.:
* January 17,2019 Restorative Drying #105902 4 Hours
* March 21, 2019 Fire Damage #24747 4 Hours
*August 15,2019 Ethics/Mitigation Awareness #90420 3 Hours
*September 19,2019 Mold #106937 4Hours
* October 17, 2019 Contaminated Buildings #80901/ Bio Hazard #103669 2 Hours each for a total of 4 Hours
The location will be : Homewood Suites
215 Richland Hills Dr.
San Antonio, TX 78245
Registration time is 8:00 A.M. for all classes. Course starts at 8:30 A.M. Breakfast available at 8:00 A.M.
RSVP: SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch 210-670-9591or email us at SERVPRO9861@aol.com
Thanksgiving Cooking Fire Safety
At SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch, we know that everyone wants to enjoy a nice meal with friends and family on Thanksgiving Day. These gatherings should not include the Fire Department. Please make fire safety an important part of your holiday.
The #1 cause of all fires year round is cooking.
The #1 cause of all injuries from fires is cooking
FIRES DON'T TAKE HOLIDAYS!
Nationwide, Thanksgiving Day is the day of the year that has the most cooking fires where the Fire Department has to respond. The day before Thanksgiving is the second highest response day.
Most cooking fires stay small. They are confined to the oven, a pot on a stove, the microwave or the toaster oven. But, when a fire is given any chance to spread because the cooking is unattended or combustibles are stored on top of or against the stove, the fire can quickly involve the entire kitchen or house. They have destroyed entire apartment buildings. A fire does not care how much money you have, how big or small your home is or who you are.
FIRES AFFECT EVERYONE!
Emergency Commercial Fire Response
Commercial Fire Response
A property owner experiences a flood of emotion when a fire ravages their business. Fear, uncertainty, stress and doubt about the future of the property can be overwhelming to the property owner long after the flames have been extinguished and the smoke cleared.
After the first wave of heroes have rescued the property, let the professionals of SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch help restore the property. Combining rapid response, the utmost in professionalism, and open communication we strive to restore the business to bring peace of mind to the owner.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers the following eye-opening statistics on fire:
-- 487,500 structure fires were reported in the United States in 2013.
-- These fires caused $9.5 billion in property damage.
-- One structure fire was reported every 65 seconds.
If the unthinkable happens and fire strikes, give the experts at your local SERVPRO Franchise a call. We'll help make it "Like it never even happened."
Call us for your fire or water emergency at 210-670-9591.
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch
Why Your Business Needs an Emergency Ready Profile
Most every business worth their salt has an emergency plan. But how readily available is it for all those who need to know the most important aspects of their buildings?
SERVPRO is collaborating with the Red Cross to make sure the most basic and important emergency aspects of every building are readily available for all those who might need it. Namely:
- A concise profile document containing only the critical information needed in case of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (or ERP) is a fantastic tool that your business can use that can be accessed via hard copy, desktop, tablet, or phone application.
There is immense value in constructing an ERP for your business. Contact SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch today to get your ERP started today at no cost to you.
Emergency Ready Profile
No one plans on a disaster, but you can plan to be 'Ready for Whatever Happens'.
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster is to Plan For it NOW.
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are 'Ready for Whatever Happens' speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
ARE YOU READY?
Preparation is a key component for making it thorugh any disaster, whether is a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, "Are you ready for whatever happens?"
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile is a start up approach that provides critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By working with SERVPRO's Emergency READY Profile, your business can receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile Advantage:
-> A no-cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost! The ERP is an absolutely FREE service.
-> A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
-> A guide to help you get back into the building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
-> Establishes SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch as your disaster mitigation restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and is close by.
-> Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
-> Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it, and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for Whatever Happens".
-> Completed ERPs are available free of charge in hard copy and electric formats
Every free ERP is available in hard copy or through a free app for tablets, phones, and desktop with a simple registration process.
CALL SERVPRO OF ALAMO RANCH TODAY TO GET STARTED ON YOUR FREE EMERGENCY READY PLAN!
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch completes final CE class of 2018
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch completed its final Continuing Education class for 2018 with a very informative class on contaminated buildings and biohazard clean up. Tommy Galligan, co-owner of SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch, was at the helm as he shared his knowledge and experience with agents from across San Antonio.
The agents and adjusters about sick building syndrome, biohazard clean up , and had a chance to see some of the tools of the trade, and were treated to breakfast food, snacks, and treats.
If you need CE credits or would like to join a class and learn about the many aspects of the fire and water restoration and cleaning business, contact us today at 210-670-9591.