If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (210) 670-9591

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

San Antonio, Beware of 'The Silent Killer'

10/27/2015 (Permalink)

Carbon monoxide, considered 'the silent killer', is a gas you cannot see, taste, smell.  It can be created when fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane, or wood do not burn properly.  According to the US Fire Administration, around 150 people die every year from accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.  Often times, it is the result of faulty, improperly used or vented consumer products like furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters, and engine-powered equipment, such as portable generators.  However, there are precautions you can take to help protect yourself, your family, and your employees from deadly CO fumes.

Reduce the chance of CO exposure in your workplace by performing regular maintenance on equipment and appliances that can produce CO.  Consider switching from gasoline-powered equipment to equipment powered by electricity or batteries.  Prohibit the use of gasoline-powered engines or tools in poorly ventilated areas.

To protect your home, install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home, including outside of all bedrooms.  Consider having all fuel-burning heating equipment and chimney serviced annually by a professional.  Use portable generators only in well-ventilated areas away from doors, windows, vents, and any other openings to prevent fumes from entering the home.

For additional carbon monoxide safety information, visit usfa.fema.gov or osha.gov.

Other News

View Recent Posts