If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (210) 670-9591

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO Cleans That?! - Mercury Spills

3/25/2021 (Permalink)

liquid mercury droplets on white unless it is contained, Mercury is volatile and dangerous to handle.

Mercury, a highly volatile and dangerous neurotoxin, is used commonly in homes, usually in high-pressure sodium lamps, thermostats and spent batteries. While usually contained very well, the dangers of mercury not only lie in its liquid form, but, since it vaporizes so readily, also poses dangers as an aerosol. It’s important to get any spilled mercury taken care of immediately, but even more important to do it safely. At SERVPRO, we have the equipment and experience to clean up these dangerous spills. Here’s how a SERVPRO technician would go about cleaning a Mercury spill.

  1. First, the Technician will make sure they are wearing the proper safety equipment. They will be wearing a mercury-type respirator, as well as gloves to ensure none of the liquid touches their skin or gets inhaled.
  2. After that, they will us a mercury-sensing gauge to determine concentration of contamination.
  3. The technician will then apply a magnetic amalgamation powder, which will prevent the mercury from aerosolizing, and cause it to clump into a semisolid paste.
  4. They will then use magnets to pick up the mercury residue and place it in a secure storage container, making sure none is left behind.
  5. A wax-like sealant will be sprayed/painted over the affected area, just in case microscopic remnants of the mercury remain.
  6. Finally, the Technician will collect any tools, gloves, boots, etc. and place them into separate storage containers for decontamination before they are worn again.

As you can see, dealing with dangerous elements like mercury is not something to be taken lightly. Here at SERVPRO, we’re committed to keeping both you and our technicians safe. Mercury spills may be tough to deal with, but we have the equipment, and more importantly the expertise, to make it "Like it never even happened."

Other News

View Recent Posts