The Dangers of Lead Exposure to Children
Although OSHA has set a permissible exposure limit for lead, numerous authorities state that "there is no known level of lead exposure that is considered safe."
Lead can be absorbed into the body through inhalation, ingestion and dermal contact.
Lead is a potent, systemic poison. Taken in large enough doses, it can become fatal in a matter of days. A condition called acute encephalopathy may arise which develops quickly to seizures, coma, and death from cardiorespiratory arrest. Encephalopathy is a term that means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. It can present a broad spectrum of symptoms that range from ild, such as some memory loss or subtle personality changes, to severe, such as dementia, seizures, coma, or death.
Lead poses the greatest risk to young children, infants, and unborn babies. A dose of lead that may have little effect on an adult can have a significant effect on a child. In children, low levels of lead exposure have been linked to damage to the central and peripheral nervous system, learning disabilities, impaired hearing, and impaired formation and function of blood cells.
No safe blood lead level in children has been identified. Even low levels in the blood have been shown to affect IQ and academic achievement. Effects of this exposure cannot be corrected.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call SERVPRO® of Alamo Ranch at 210-670-9591.
Source: Restoration and Remediation Magazine 10/3/2019