Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Killer Introduction
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes.Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide (or CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane burn incompletely. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning. It is estimated that another 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning.
All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups- including unborn babies, infants and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems-being more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.
If you would like more information on the subject, please call SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch at 210-670-9591 or check out the next article about Carbon Monoxide.
Source: Restoration Newsline Volume 30, Issue 8