Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Cold-Weather Killer
San Antonio is not known for cold weather, but believe it or not, we get our fair share of it. SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch would like to keep you informed of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide in this cold season.
Carbon Monoxide is a gas that you can not see, taste, or smell. According to ready.gov, an average of 430 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide(CO) poisoning. Often times, it is the result of faulty, improperly used or vented consumer products such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters, and engine powered equipment, such as portable generators.
Consider having all fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys serviced annually by a professional. Use portable generators only in a well ventilated area away from doors, windows, vents, and other openings to prevent fumes from entering the home.
Source: SERVPRO® Restoration Newsline Volume 30, Issue 1