What You Should Do (or not do) If a Fire Occurs on the Stove Top?
* Always have a lid close by that can be placed on a burning pot. Even a cookie sheet that covers the pot will work. If a fire occurs, cover the pot, then turn the stove off. Don't peek! Let it cool completely down.
* Do not pick up a burning pot. Dropped and spilled hot food and burning oil can cause serious and tragic burns.
* Do not put water on a burning pot. This can make things much worse.
* You can use a fire extinguisher but only if you know how to. Did you ever read the instructions? Or look at the manufacturers videos on how to use? You probably should before you ever have to use one. You could make things worse!
* If the fire is too big or for whatever reason you are unsure if it can be contained, then get everyone outside and call 911.